Did you know that nutrition plays an important role in contributing to your better quality of health and overall well-being? According to research, about 700,000 deaths and 15% disability cases have a correlation to poor nutrition. It’s not just diseases, but the pain that you’re feeling right now in your back and other parts of the body may be because of high levels of inflammation. And as clinics are not operating at full-capacity with the COVID-19 pandemic still underway, you can make a difference in managing your pain with the food that you eat.
In this episode of Back Talk Doc, Dr. Sanjiv Lakhia dives deep into the anti-inflammatory diet and how it can help with pain. He debunks certain misconceptions about inflammation and the role food plays in exacerbating this condition, and affecting our body. One type of diet he highly recommends is the Mediterranean diet, which is more of a pattern and way of eating rather than specific recipes. It’s one that’s backed up by studies that have shown positive results to one's health.
Dr. Lakhia further breaks down the Mediterranean diet, and the different food groups that you can consume while following it. He further specifies the type of food you can and cannot eat, such as nuts, the type of protein, fats and carbohydrates, to name a few. You can also tweak the Mediterranean diet and make adjustments to your meal plans, for as long as you follow the basic principles it espouses.
Improving your nutrition is a great way to supplement pain management, especially if you’re already taking medicine to lower inflammation levels. If you start providing your body with good nutrition and being consistent with it, then you’re going to see the results and benefits in the long run.
Key moments in the episode
- Important statistics 03:56
- The truth behind inflammation 04:49
- How food contributes to inflammation 05:54
- Determine existence of high levels of inflammation in your body 06:53
- The Mediterranean diet 08:05
- The Mediterranean diet as a pattern of eating 09:44
- PREDIMED trial on the Mediterranean diet and cardiovascular disease 11:07
- Debunking fats 12:13
- On nuts 14:09
- On carbohydrates 15:09
- On fruits and vegetables 16:57
- The importance of spices 19:40
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages 20:39
- 16 top food sources for the anti-inflammatory diet 22:12
Links mentioned in the episode
- Back Talk education booklet
- Integrative Medicine by Dr. David Rakel
- PREDIMED trial
- What Is The Anti-Inflammatory Diet And Food Pyramid? by Dr. Andrew Weil
- 16 Top Sources for the Anti-Inflammatory Diet by Dr. Andrew Weil
Back Talk Doc is brought to you by Carolina Neurosurgery & Spine Associates, with offices in North and South Carolina. To learn more about Dr. Lakhia and treatment options for back and spine issues, go to backtalkdoc.com. To schedule an appointment with Carolina Neurosurgery & Spine Associates, you can call us at 1-800-344-6716 or visit our website at carolinaneurosurgery.com.